Steak et le chaton minuscule, Edmotho and Vader's March. These are the only things I have taken away from the Links into Languages ICT conference this weekend. Not really, I have met some amazing people and I have learned a lot and I mean a lot.
Firstly I have learned that although Darth Govius and his Sith Lords are trying to turn education to the dark side, there are many, many rebels who are fighting the good fight and it is great to see a convergence of ideas and beliefs. I would like to summarise a couple of points for Mr Gibb and Mr Gove
1. Children require more than knowledge, they require transferable skills
2. Children are not memory machines, they are people who need an emotional and intellectual buy in to education in general and language learning specifically - terrible topics and contextless grammar is not a good diet
3. Excessive pedagogical dogma supported by old books out of a skip is shit - we need a blended pedagogy which is distinctive to learners on different parts of their language learning journey
4. TeAchnology is the future like it or not
5. Passionate teachers are worth their weight in bankers' bonuses -please treat them as professionals and with respect
6. In the words of Michael Jackson; "the children are the future" so stop messing with their lives and leave it to professional educationalists, just because you went to school does not make you an expert in education.
I have learned many other things which I need to digest and I will blog about in the future but for now I just want to send a huge linguists love-in shout out to (in no particular order) @bellaale @reesiepie, @blagona @lwelsh @lisibo @wendadeniji @mariefrance @icpjones @suzibewell @joedale @zenahilton @amandasalt @froggyval and my dad and my bro @bootleian and @chrisfullerisms (and so many others!) Keep on rocking in the free world kids!
You can watch my presentation on Languages:Reboot here if you are interested!